Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles

Golden Eagle women fall to ULM Warhawks

Golden Eagle women fall to ULM Warhawks

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. – Jim Davis knows what it’s like rubbing two stones together, hoping for a spark, any spark, to ignite a fire. The first-year Tennessee Tech coach shuffled lineups all night Saturday, looking for any combination that might catch fire but it was like trying to burn wet kindling.

Nothing worked.

Visiting ULM (1-4) had the lead nearly all night, thanks mostly to a huge edge in rebounds, and left town with a 59-48 non-conference victory.  The winning margin  grew from five to 11 in the final minute.

The Warhawks won despite being held to 34.5 percent shooting and losing the ball on 21 turnovers. Tech (2-3) never found a way to take advantage, shooting just 27 percent and losing the rebound battle, 55-32.

Jasmine Shaw led the way for ULM with 14 points and 10 rebounds, one of three Warhawks to reach double digits in the scoring column. Elexar Tugler added 12 points and seven rebounds and Alexar Tugler had 11 points and six boards. Ashleigh Simmons topped ULM in rebounds with 12 while scoring eight. Alayshia Hunter blocked five shots.

Kelie Cook was Tech’s lone double figure scorer with 10 points while Candace Parson and Jala Harris added nine each. Molly Heady scored eight.

Not much was settled through the first 20 minutes, as the score was tied six times and the lead changed hands six times but neither squad was able to establish any advantage. The largest lead of the half for ULM was five points (10-5) and Tech’s widest margin was three (23-20) points.

ULM went to the break with a two-point lead, 27-25, after Jasmine Shaw grabbed a missed shot with nine seconds to play and banked in her putback.

It was more of the same in the second half as Tech would fall behind by a basket, then catch up. That script repeated itself for most of the half, knotting the contest at 43-43 with 9:06 to go.

The Warhawks crept out to a four-point lead, 49-45, on a three-point play by Alexar Tugler with 6:31 remaining, and pushed it to five, 52-47, with 3:30 remaining.

Harris made one free throw to pull Tech within four, 52-48, but it was the last point to light the home side of the scoreboard. The Warhawks tallied the final seven points of the contest for the final margin.  

One more game remains on the team’s seven-game, season-opening homestand. Alcorn State will visit town for a 7 p.m. tipoff Tuesday night. For tickets, visit the Athletics Ticket Office in Eblen Center or call (931) 372-3940.

Tech looks to tame the Tigers
December 31, 2012 Tech looks to tame the Tigers

© Tennessee Tech Athletics

1100 McGee Blvd. // TTU Box 5057 // Cookeville, TN 38505

Privacy Policy