By Dylan Vazzano, TTU Sports Information Coordinator
BRISTOL, Tenn. – The Tennessee Tech tennis team had its two-match winning streak snapped Sunday afternoon, falling 6-1 at East Tennessee State in the club's lone clash of the weekend.
Wenceslao Albin, who spent the last two years as a member of the Buccaneers, struck for revenge over his former mates, collecting a 7-5, 6-2 victory in the No. 3 singles spot against Juan Lugo to account for Tech's point in the tilt.
ETSU (4-4) would end up seizing wins in the other five singles bouts, including a pair of hard-fought nods in the top two spots. After winning the opening set in the No. 1 clash, 6-3, No. 51 Eduardo Mena dropped the next two with a 7-6 loss in the second set and a 6-3 defeat in the finale in his matchup with Robert Herrera.
Jorge Alfonzo fell in the opening set, 6-3, to Sergi Fontcuberta in the No. 2 singles affair, before claiming the second set, 7-6. Deadlocked at 1-1, Alfonzo would get tripped up in the final set, 6-4, to drop the point.
The Bucs would seize the final three singles battles with a Frazier Rengifo 6-1, 6-2, nod over Marc Mila in the No. 4 spot, a David Gonzalez 3-6, 6-3, (3) win the No. 5 position and a Tasei Miyamoto 6-4, 7-6 (2) victory over Riku Kubota in the No. 6 slot.
Tech (2-6) was unable to register the doubles point, despite an Eduardo Mena and Gonzalo Garcia 6-3 win against Miguel Este and Frazier Rengifo in the No. 3 tandem tilt. ETSU would capture the other two matchups behind a Juan Lugo and Tasei Miyamoto 6-2 victory over Marc Mila and Arthur Justo in the No. 1 slot and a Robert Herrera and Sergi Fontcuberta 6-4 nod against Wenceslao Albin and Riku Kubotoa in the No. 2 spot.
The Golden Eagles will set their sights on a busy weekend with three matches slated down in Lafayette, La. Tech will lock up with Louisiana on Friday, Feb, 23 at 9 a.m. CT, before a Saturday, Feb. 24 doubleheader that will feature clashes with Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and East Carolina.
- Robert Herrera (ETSU) Eduardo Mena (TTU) 3-6, 7-6, 6-3
- Sergi Fontcuberta (ETSU) Jorge Alfonzo (TTU) 6-3, 6-7, 6-4
- Wenceslao Albin (TTU) def. Juan Lugo (ETSU) 7-5, 6-2
- Frazier Rengifo (ETSU) Marc Mila (TTU) 6-1, 6-2
- David Gonzalez (ETSU) Gonzalo Garcia (TTU) 3-6, 6-3 (3)
- Tasei Miyamoto (ETSU) Riku Kubota (TTU) 6-4, 7-6 (2)
- Juan Lugo/Tasei Miyamoto (ETSU) def. Marc Mila/Arthur Justo (TTU) 6-2
- Robert Herrera/Sergi Fontcuberta (ETSU) def. Wenceslao Albin/Riku Kubota (TTU) 6-4
- Eduardo Mena/Gonzalo Garcia (TTU) def. Miguel Este/Frazier Rengifo (ETSU) 6-3
Photo by Thomas Corhern, TTU Sports Information